Can online addiction and therapy technology coexist? The answer is yes, they can. Mental health and addiction treatment overlap in a multitude of ways and the same is true for the technology providers use to offer those services. For providers or facilities that offer both categories of services to their clients, dual software might be the answer to improving productivity, patient satisfaction, client engagement, and so much more. So how do the two overlap and how can technology work to meet both needs?
Common Barriers to Both Addiction and Mental Health Treatment
There are many reasons someone might not seek out or be able to access treatment for addiction or a mental health condition. Some of the most common barriers to treatment include:
- Accessibility – Location, scheduling, transportation, and all else that falls under the umbrella of accessibility act as barriers to treatment and services. If someone does not live near an addiction treatment facility or a therapist, then they might not be able to access in-person services. Those who rely on public transportation or transport from others might find it challenging or impossible to make their way to a facility or provider. Not only this, but those working during your hours of operation might not be privileged enough to leave work to receive the care they need. Accessibility is a common and frequent barrier to both addiction and mental health services.
- Stigma – The stigma behind seeking treatment exists across both addiction and mental health conditions. One might have a learned aversion to services that discouraged them from seeking them out. Someone might fear the reactions of others should they find out that they need services at all. Regardless of the reason, stigma is still a common barrier to care for many individuals.
- Cost – Financial responsibility/cost is another barrier to treatment across both addiction and mental health services that can be tough to avoid. It is not only the cost of services but also the cost to get to and from the appointment and the cost of taking time off of work. Someone might think they are not in a secure enough financial position to commit to services.
How Online Addiction and Therapy Technology can Help
Online addiction and therapy technology can coexist to make eliminating barriers possible by:
- Increasing Accessibility with Online Services – Online addiction treatment and teletherapy has made it possible for individuals to access services remotely. With an incredible tool like this, patients can avoid the need to travel from appointments, or take extended periods of time away from their jobs. Providers are able to transition from appointment to appointment more easily, making it possible to see more individuals in one day, and making scheduling more flexible. Not only this, but online addiction and therapy technology opens the possibility for things like remote group therapy and other services that the patient could benefit from.
- Eliminating the Stress of Stigma – With remote visits, patients can minimize the impact stigma might be having on their life. Online visits are easier to access, making individuals with internalized stigma more likely to attend. It also reduces their fear that they could run into someone they know or that someone could find out that they are receiving addiction treatment or mental health services.
- Offering a Cost-Effective Alternative – Online addiction and therapy technology offers a cost-effective alternative to patients who need it. Online services are covered by insurance now more than ever before, making them more affordable. Not only this but the cost of travel and the cost to take time away from work is reduced or eliminated.
Benefits for Providers
Providers who offer both addiction and mental health services at their facility stand to benefit a lot from implementing a coexisting technology. Those benefits include:
- Streamlined Workflow – move seamlessly between screens and workflows to get more done in less time.
- Increased Patient Engagement – Eliminate barriers for patients, engaging them more in their care.
- Increased Client Satisfaction – Create a convenient and accessible experience for clients so that they remain satisfied with their care.
- Fast Scheduling – Use a comprehensive scheduling tool that allows clients to view your availability and schedule online.
- Ease-of-Use – Use technology that supports you while you offer exceptional patient care without complicated headaches.
- New Client Potential – Open up the opportunity for new clients with listings in online provider directories.
- Secure Messaging – Securely exchange messages with clients, increasing communication.
- And More
To learn more, click here.